Teaching my Father to become a Gamer.

• A NOTICE REGARDING TIER LISTS:

Please note that all tier lists (especially those made by Tyber) are heavily biased (many on flawed logic) and should not be taken as official or the community's stance on the rankings.

Dippy Fresh

Matisse Thybulle Stan Account
Donator
Jul 19, 2020
I was playing Madden one day in the living room, playing franchise as the Eagles. The Eagles are my family's favorite team, so when my dad walked up to me blowing out the Cowboys, he was heavily intrigued. I told him to grab the other controller, and we can play together. He immediately picked it up from a football standpoint. He knew how to read coverages, and knew the perfect plays to call in the situations. However, whenever it came to actually doing the actions he wanted to do, he fumbled (pun intended)

"Why am I not throwing the ball?"
"Why is he running backwards?"
"How do I punt?"

These questions became increasingly common so I decided to throw him into the Madden Skills Trainer and he soon after became WAY better at the game. I jokingly called him a gamer, he responded with wanting to try Star Wars Battlefront 2. Once the game was loaded he went into single player, however it was extremely apparent that he was not going to get it like he did Madden. Aiming, Strafing, Shooting, and using actions with other buttons had confused and frustrated him. I felt bad by just throwing him into a situation he wasn't accustomed to, so today I decided that I will help him become a gamer.

I had pitched a few ideas to him on games he could play, but he really seemed to like "Kill demons in hell with many awesome guns." So I got his laptop, installed Steam and Doom 64, and we tried to complete the first level. He was to control Doom Guy and I'd help him backtrack through the level and try to figure out how to beat it. Guys, when I saw him start laughing and smiling after killing demons with a chainsaw, I felt so happy and proud. My dad, after 17 years, had attempted to pick up one of my hobbies. And goddamnit, he had fun.

With his impending retirement as a police officer, he has a lot more free time. He likes FPS games but prefers 2.5D games like Wolfenstein and Doom. Do you guys have any suggestions for what game i should get him next? Anything at all to help him have more fun.

Reactions: Putin

Putin

Legendary
Donator
Jul 22, 2020
Virginia
STRAFE is a recent game in the style of early shooters like doom and Wolfenstein that he might get a kick out of. Of course I'd also recommend the old Wolfensteins, dooms, hexens of the world as well but they can sometimes be goofy to run because of their age, mods can help with that tho I believe.

Reactions: Dippy Fresh

Zaid_Zilla

Donator
Jul 17, 2020
If he likes survival and is up for a challenge, Metro Exodus is one of the best FPS games I've played ever in that it actually has a story.

Reactions: Dippy Fresh